Gone are those days when leaders were born with formidable abilities. In this new age, even an ordinary man can become a leader. As the stakes in firms are getting too high, the organizations are willing to create leaders that offer a competitive edge.
In this article at Villanova University, the author suggests that any individual aspiring to become a leader can acquire and nurture vital skills required for top roles.
Leadership skills are a treasured asset to move up on a success ladder. Most organizations see leadership as an upper management only. But it is an equally pivotal fact that most top management leaders started their journey from a junior level. So, here are a few leadership skills you must acquire if you aim to take on a leadership role:
- Communication Skills: It is a combination of the three most essential skills of speaking, listening, and writing. To become a notable leader, you must communicate your thoughts to the team with speech and clear instructions written on emails. Start giving adequate attention to the team’s concerns and suggestions.
- Result Oriented: The leaders set goals and determine priorities that lead to the desired outcomes. To turn into a result-oriented leader, understand your organization’s goals, and draft a plan to reach there. With an action-oriented attitude, execute the project with constant communications and feedbacks from the team.
- Clear Vision: Leaders need a clear vision that they can share with the teams. They must delegate responsibilities while remaining accountable for it. Moreover, they must influence others, not by rules or force, but by persuasion.
- Team Orientation: For IT projects, only a team-oriented leader can deliver the desired results by forming a team of assorted skilled professionals. The team-oriented leaders can dig deep to find those who are efficient enough to bring them onboard to meet a common goal. So, now you know what more you must do to become a leader.
- Influence or Persuade: This is one of the essential skills needed to lead in an organization. IT leaders must sell their ideas to the teams before approaching the upper management. So, if you have a project or initiative that you want to be successful, you must persuade others to extend their helping hand to you.
Click on the following link to read the original article: https://www.villanovau.com/resources/leadership/5-leadership-skills-found-in-managers/