In this blog post appearing in JoeTheITGuy.com, Joe The IT Guy, takes a look at the advantages and disadvantages of chatbots to help you discover if your IT service desk needs one.
- Quick: Chatbots work faster than humans because they can recall information faster. Therefore, chatbots can provide the right answer and move on to the next customer quicker than a human agent, and so can quickly get through a larger workload.
- Reduced Human Error: Chatbots follow what they’re programmed to do, reducing human error. Humans tend to forget things and trusting programmable chatbots can reduce the bounce-back rate and improve triage service level agreement (SLA) performance.
- 24/7: Chatbots can work around the clock. They don’t need breaks or vacations. As such, they can work even when your human agents have gone home and can fulfill your need for 24/7 service.
- Save Money: Following on from the point above, as chatbots work consistently and around the clock, they can save funds. Besides, when you compare your agents’ hourly rates against the output of a chatbot, you will see that you can save money in the long-run.
- Needy: Chatbots are needy in the sense that they need to be programmed – which is not often easy if complex tasks are required. Besides this, unless a chatbot employs machine learning, it will not learn and improve on the job.
- Unloved: Not all customers take to chatbots, and many haven’t grasped the concept. Additionally, chatbots cannot be relied upon to deal with distraught customers in a sympathetic, apologetic or emotional manner.
- Breakdown: Chatbots can breakdown, and when this happens a back-up plan is required. When a breakdown occurs, your human agents will invariably be inundated with tickets.
- Cost-Intensive: The upfront cost of a chatbot can be steep. Therefore, you will need to consider and justify the upfront costs as well as development costs with any potential savings in the long-run.
Click on the following link to view the original article in full: https://www.joetheitguy.com/2019/01/23/does-your-it-service-desk-really-need-a-chatbot/