In this era of digital disruption, organizations are depending on CIOs for direction. They are supposed to understand not only the technology but also the business. Gone are the days when you saw them running the back-office functions only. In this article at CIO, Pearl Zhu discusses 11 roles that CIOs must fulfill every day.
Essential Roles of CIOs
The differences between traditional and modern CIOs are perspective and nature of challenges. The traditional CIOs had a tough time convincing the organizations how technology can transform their business. Now, the challenges are more about knowing which technology can make an organization digital natives. You need to be open to new ideas but be clear on your agenda. Following are the roles that modern CIOs must fulfill every day:
- Strategist of Digital Transformation: You must know how to leverage technology benefits for the company strategy.
- Visionary: Modern CIOs must think out of the box. This helps the company to be one step ahead of its competitors.
- Change Manager: Not only must you bring in the technology but you must also infuse an agile mindset. This increases better acceptance of change in processes, functions, and policies in the work culture.
- Businessman: CIOs must find out the root cause of the problems the organizations are facing. As a CIO, it is your job then to turn the problems into opportunities like a true businessman.
- IT-Business Linker: People never thought that IT has any role to play in business. CIOs must assure they bridge this gap between IT and business. By creating new business models, you can bring in better efficiency in your services and products while reducing operating costs.
- Technology Benefactor: The leaders must make technology everyone’s cup of the team by simplifying the technical terms.
- Pioneer: While everyone likes innovation, hardly anyone understands how IT can contribute to the business. So, the CIOs must act as a pioneer by pitching IT as a business case inside the organization.
- Business Transformer: It is human nature to play safe. So, large organizations tend not to come out of the comfort zone and work just to keep the lights on. You must convince the business owners to think out the box.
- Policy Introducer: The IT leaders must contribute to revamping policies to keep up with the market scenario. They must introduce new policies like GDPR to make the brand appealing to the new-age customers.
- Market Analyzer: You understand technology better than anyone in the organization. So, you must guide the organizations in IT investment with competitive analysis and business proposals.
- Digital Orchestrator: It is time that you had an active role in growing the organization. As an orchestrator directs the band of musicians to create a beautiful, so should you with technology.
To view the original article in full, visit the following link: https://www.cio.com/article/3311872/cio-role/11-portraits-of-digital-cios.html