Modern IT management is vital to fully embrace and control the digital business. No longer can the IT department of an organization be the bottleneck or the cynics in the digital arena.
In this article at ITSM.Tools, Daniel Card explains that IT leaders and their teams need to adapt and improvise if they wish to play a lead role in the world of modern technology.
Core Focus Area
IT needs modern practices and governance to confidently partner within organizations to drive and implement initiatives that support business growth. Here are some appropriate ways to modernize IT management:
- Leverage Workshops: To run, manage, and deliver knowledge sharing and training, leverage an array of sources like at-lunch learning programs or pizza meetings. This will make the employees feel privileged and active to attend the training.
- Improvement Volleys: Allow some time to focus on dealing with known issues like paying down technical debt. This will provide a break from the regular flow of work and help to get rid of the issues that are slowing you down.
- Bring Some Fun: People spend a great amount of time at work and the IT leaders need to get the best out of them. To get good output, ensure that the employees have a passion to deliver quality. If they will have some fun at work, it would turn to be a win-win situation for the venture.
- Must Market: Pick a line of business or department where IT can add even more value, and get them to augment your marketing capability. A customer spreading words of praises about your IT support will sound way better than the department praising itself.
- Know Your Game: You need to know what the operational and financials look like. This does not mean that you know the cost/value of every nut and bolt. But have a broad-brush view on the breadth and depth of technology services the department provides. Also, observe how these equate to costs and the revenue potential.
- Avoid Rush Decisions: Often businesses go ahead and invest in a technology first, and then IT will have to reverse engineer a support mechanism. Rather than saying ‘no’ or taking a back seat, go offensive and help by leading from the front.
Click on the following link to read the original article: https://itsm.tools/2018/05/15/6-tips-for-modernizing-it-management-and-delivery/