The US Small Business Administration (SBA) offers ten steps, replete with full articles for each step, on how to start a healthy business. They go like this:
- Write a business plan.
- Get business assistance and training.
- Choose a business location.
- Finance your business.
- Determine the legal structure of your business.
- Register a business name (“doing business as”).
- Get a tax identification number.
- Register for state and local taxes.
- Obtain business licenses and permits.
- Understand employer responsibilities.
You can view the full details at the SBA website: https://www.sba.gov/content/follow-these-steps-starting-business