Applying business relationship management (BRM) in the context of IT services is the next step for improving service delivery. What does that entail though? In a post at his blog, Joe the IT Guy shares some tips to rock your service levels:
- Understand the BRM role.
- Have an operational model from the outset.
- Build in maturity checks.
- Maximize decision-making.
- Differentiate between strategic and tactical BRM.
BRM better connects IT with the business, makes clearer the needs of customers, and enables IT and the business to agree upon the service trajectory that maximizes business value. But for BRM to actually work, Joe says it must come paired with an operational model, which should contain the following features:
- Processes to create and maintain the IT service provider’s deliverables
- Initiatives to support strategy design and delivery, and drive to improvements over time
- The organizational structures required to coordinate and control service provider roles and resources
- Metrics to measure customer experience, service levels, process performance, and overall service provider success levels
- Services, i.e. what’s delivered to both the business and, in some cases, external customers
- Governance capabilities, including to allocate and support decision-making rights, i.e. who is empowered to do what in the context of the service provider and receiver relationship
To ensure IT services and BRM keep up with the times, build in maturity checks. Maturity checks measure whether IT capabilities are keeping up with the direction of business, and also how well they are keeping up.
Another way to bolster BRM is to introduce a decision-making cycle to it. Such a cycle should address IT objectives, questions from business partners, and identifying decision steps. This cycle will speed up decision-making considerably.
Lastly, acknowledge the differences between strategic and tactical BRM and cater to both ends of it. Strategic BRM focuses on the big picture and moving everything forward, whereas tactical BRM ensures all the little moving pieces keep working as intended.
For additional elaboration on these ideas, view the full post here: http://www.joetheitguy.com/2018/02/07/my-first-5-tips-for-using-brm-to-rock-service-levels/