You really need a helping hand from Horatio in accounting to finish this project on time. How do you win over Horatio quickly? In an article for Forbes, Emma Johnson shares some reliable advice for how to ask him:
- Ask for advice, rather than a favor. (But then maybe build off of that.)
- Ask specific questions that can be clearly answered within a few minutes.
- Articulate how that person helping you will also be helping him or herself in some way.
- Respect that time and expertise are valuable.
- Find ways to be helpful to the other person in return.
- If it is really important, practice your delivery of the question in advance.
For elaboration, you can view the original article here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmajohnson/2015/02/17/how-to-get-anything-you-want-by-asking-better-questions/