Be yourself, thrive, and do not infuriate anyone along the way. In an article for CareerBuilder, Shannon Lee shares a dozen rules to ensure you are seen in the right light at the office. Here they are in brief:
- Avoid social media. Your friends’ lives are not that interesting anyway.
- Answer personal calls in private.
- Avoid gossip. It just makes you look immature to dwell on such vapid topics.
- Keep email formal, at least in the sense of writing proper English. K?
- Do not curse. No matter how informal the situation, or how much conviction you feel, do not curse.
- Drown out noise with headphones, but do not wear them all day. People will start to think of you as an anti-social mole person, which is bad even if utterly true.
- Knock before entering. Personal space matters.
- If you are sick, work at home.
- Scents travel. Sometimes they travel too far. Be mindful of food and perfume/cologne.
- Dress to impress, but do not put on a fashion show.
- Do not search for other jobs at work, unless you are trying to get fired anyway.
- Remember that people have lives outside of work and respect their time outside of normal office hours.
You can view the original article here: https://www.careerbuilder.com/advice/the-new-office-etiquette-rules-for-todays-workplace