ITMPI FLAT 002
Main Menu
Home / CIO / How Business Outcomes Are Transforming IT Spending

How Business Outcomes Are Transforming IT Spending

If you want to be successful, you need to take risks and invest in yourself. In a study commissioned by Datalink, the relationship between IT investments and business results was further analyzed. In an article for TechRepublic, Conner Forrest elaborates on the results of this study.

Companies cited their top five areas of IT investment interest as follows: improving IT security, improving the customer experience, managing costs, improving operational efficiency, and moderating risks. These are all important areas to develop, but what is more important is that 70 percent of the respondents state that it is pertinent to link IT investments and business outcomes.

Only 47 percent claim that their organization did a sufficient enough job communicating how a particular IT investment impacted a specific business outcome. The other 53 percent claim that their organization needs an improvement in this area. Additionally, 68 percent state that business goals were more important than IT’s operational goals when it comes to making IT investment decisions. The respondents of the survey claim that there are five initiatives that are leading IT decisions presently:

  1. Security
  2. Disaster recovery
  3. IT governance
  4. Cloud
  5. Public cloud

Of these initiatives, automation, security, application management, and cloud management were all noted as the elements pushing business outcomes. Unfortunately, these are also the initiatives that are the most arduous to deploy and maintain. All aspects of IT are difficult, but 41 percent believe that the planning phase is the most challenging. There are five prominent challenges with linking business outcomes and IT investments:

  1. Standardizing business processes
  2. The need for automation
  3. Keeping up with new application development
  4. Poor communication between IT and other departments of the business
  5. A lack of support from executives

You can read the original article here: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-business-outcomes-are-transforming-it-spending/

About Danielle Koehler

Danielle is a staff writer for CAI's Accelerating IT Success. She has degrees in English and human resource management from Shippensburg University.

Check Also

Voice Technology Is the Way of the Future

Back 15 years ago, voice-activated technology only existed in science fiction. But with Siri, Cortana, …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *