ITMPI FLAT 001
Main Menu
Home / CIO / No More Dungeon Masters: Top 10 CIO Priorities

No More Dungeon Masters: Top 10 CIO Priorities

CIOs have a choice. They can either innovate their way to a seat of royalty at the executive table, or they can go on being the dungeon masters of an IT silo. For those of you who aspire to greater things, Jon Tullet has the article for you. He writes about what it takes to make the leap, and the ten priorities that all great CIOs need to address.

Unlocking Doors

At a recent CIO summit held by Oracle in Johannesburg, 80 percent of South African CIOs identified their roles as still largely being “IT managers,” but more importantly, they recognized that it is possible for CIOs to become more. The remaining 20 percent were the rare few who had already successfully shifted themselves into a more business-centric role. Tullet cites ten top priorities among these forward-thinking CIOs, as conceived by Oracle’s Bob Evans:

  1. Changes in your job
  2. The Internet of Things (IoT)
  3. Adjusting expectations and focusing on innovation
  4. Dazzling customers
  5. Embracing cloud, mobile, and social
  6. Blending art and science
  7. Modernizing technology use
  8. Embracing metrics
  9. Tying employee compensation to knowledge-worker productivity
  10. Building a transparent enterprise

Being mindful of IoT means anticipating and taking advantage of disruptions to supply chain and customer engagement. Blending art and science meanwhile alludes to things like data visualization. Arranging data in a clear and graphical depiction can pull back the curtain on revelations that you might never have imagined otherwise. But sometimes it is not you that needs the boost; sometimes it is the machines that need the boost. Tullet has this to say about not fighting “tomorrow’s war with yesterday’s technologies”:

The average age of enterprise IT systems is over 20 years, [Pieter] Bensch notes. Accelerate the adoption of new technologies, with evolution plans to maximise the return and minimise the impact on critical legacy systems, with a view to the sort of business you expect to be doing three to five years from now.

While you are busy raising your status as the CIO, you might as well pull the rest of IT out of the darkness too and increase organizational transparency. Learn how the dots connect between IT and the myriad other departments and use that knowledge to plan strategy. Your ascent as CIO begins today.

To read further insights, you can view Tullet’s full article here: http://www.itweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=135854

About John Friscia

John Friscia is the Editor of Computer Aid's Accelerating IT Success. He began working for Computer Aid, Inc. in 2013 and continues to provide graphic design support for AITS. He graduated summa cum laude from Shippensburg University with a B.A. in English.

Check Also

5 Fundamentals of Effective Cloud Management

Cloud computing strategy now means incorporating several different cloud services to work together for your …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *