ITSM – ever wonder how to cut through the clutter? In a whitepaper, Barclay Rae confronts what he experiences as widespread ignorance and confusion regarding this vital function. ITSM Goodness, a program that was invented to address service management malaise, focuses on fundamentals and aims for practical solutions, professionalism, and quality improvements.
The bare truth is that best practice frameworks offer too much information or too many guides and certification programs in which key messages are lost. This blizzard of information creates the need to simplify and summarize. In his paper, Rae dose just that, citing seven key insights of ITSM.
7 ITSM Fundamentals
- Mind the Customers: by giving them a chance to be heard.
- Structure Service around Business Outcomes: by properly conceptualizing what the IT organization does, while offering information to improve the IT supply chain. This moves the focus from SLAs (service level agreements) to desired outcomes, improving the link between IT and business goals.
- Invest in the Service Desk: The service desk is the core function of any IT outfit. Infusing it with both real and visible resources provides evidence and proof of its value.
- Create a Working Approach to Problem Management: Maximize the effectiveness of a problem manager, with attention paid to the human side of the process. This can lead directly to real quality improvements in ITSM.
- Encourage Useful Reporting: Ensure that reports are not being written for the void. This can be accomplished by adhering to fundamental #2 – keeping outcomes focused on business needs.
- Unite IT: The entirety of any IT operation must change to reflect a supply chain model, often with the elimination of the silo approach to delivery.
- Change and Sell the Pitch: All fundamental steps converge in a good pitch that invokes the proper emotions, and that tells a story about the nature of change being undertaken by the organization.
Read the full white paper at: http://l1.osdimg.com/remote-support/dam/pdf/en/wp/Barclay-Rae-GoToAssist-7-Steps-to-ITSM-Goodness-Brief.pdf