Could you use a masseuse? Loraine Lawson uses a piece printed by the International Association for Information and Data Quality as a foundation to write an article about aligning IT and business goals. The solution offered is to hold an alignment workshop, which can be broken into five steps:
- Confirm the value of the data initiative.
- Identify the stakeholders’ goals.
- Create linkages between solution delivery and what’s important to individual stakeholders.
- Determine success criteria and metrics.
- Establish a communication plan.
The first step involves prioritizing and mapping the value of perceived benefits dreamed up by IT and the business both. Then IT and business values may be thoughtfully paired up to achieve the goals of both entities at once. Although stakeholder goals often do (and probably should) line up with organizational goals, this is not always the case, so take the effort to find out. Link tasks to individuals and be able to explain how these tasks tie back to the larger overarching goals. Using smart metrics and documenting communication are how individuals stay the course while tackling these tasks. If you can follow these steps, your organization’s backbone will thank you.