Being able to think about a situation from the other person’s perspective is half the battle when it comes to having a hard talk with someone. Henna Inam at Transformational Leadership teaches us seven steps to have the difficult conversation respectfully and effectively:
- See the situation clearly.
- Identify your intent.
- Put yourself in the other person’s shoes.
- Have the pre-conversations.
- Pick the right time and place.
- Bring empathy to the difficult conversation.
- Focus on your successes.
Regardless of the outcome of the talk, Inam says it is important to reflect upon the talk itself afterward to see what has been learned from the experience. Difficult situations are the best places to learn lessons.